So you are planning to paint the interior and/or exterior of your house! The most important question is do you do it yourself, or do you hire a professional house painter to do the job for you? Painting is almost one of the easiest 'Do It Yourself' jobs that you can do at home but it is also can be a job that is incredibly easy to make a mess of … literally. So before you decide to attack the task of house painting yourself, take stock and make sure you are up for it. Take a read through 10 important items to consider as well as why it could be a good idea to hire a professional painter.
1. Safety- If you are not in ideal physical condition, or even if you are, there’s no need to risk the safety of yourself proving that you are capable of painting the exterior or interior of a multi-story home yourself. The work can be tough on your body if not familiar with the physical work, tiring, can be nerve wracking if not familiar with balancing on high ladders, and can time consuming if you need to do several layers.
2. Preparation- When it comes to painting, there is a great deal of surface preparation. While applying paint is very satisfying, most exterior painting starts with a lot of scraping and sanding, as well as replacing missing caulk and rotted wood. Preparation is key to a great paint job, you can't just cover up these issues. That’s why our painters are knowledgeable and trained to prep by look out for these items
3.Lead-Based Paint- If you own an older home, there is the suspected presence of lead-based paint. If your home was painted before 1978, it may have lead-based paint, which can cause serious health effects when it’s disturbed by scraping or sanding. Our trained professionals will know more than you about handling the situation, and will take appropriate steps to protect you and your family and dispose of it properly.
4 Primer- Primer is an important step in the Painting process and can be difficult to purchase when you are not sure what type of primer and paint to apply. If you aren't sure what type of paint is on your home, you may not know what type of paint to apply. On top of that, many paint jobs involve multiple types of surfaces and problems that may require different types of “specialty” primers. A knowledgeable contractor is better qualified to decide what types of paints and primers will provide the best paint “system” on your home.
5. Equipment- A large project can often require the use of specialized painting equipment. You might be handy with a brush or roller, but what if the job requires use of a power brush, power sander, power washer, and/or power sprayer? Are you prepared to spend time, money and effort learning how to use the equipment? Are you willing to spend the money it will require to rent or purchase them? Our painting crews come equipped to do the job no matter the requirements.
6. Specialization- Depending on what you want/need painted when it comes to the exterior, it may need special expertise. Some paint jobs require specialty coatings that should only be applied by a painting professional. Example: Elastomeric wall coatings, which are extra-thick paints that are used to span cracks in masonry coatings to prevent water from penetrating into building interiors. Trained professionals have the experience to guide you through the process virtually stress free
7. Timing- If you are thinking of doing a large scale paint job in a specific amount of time, timing can be a major factor. If you have a full time job, using your precious spare time to paint may take quite weeks. Getting a large project done within a time frame can also be tough when you have weather delays, an event coming up or when the proper preparation alone can eat up into the few spare hours a week that you have. If so, let someone else do their job! You, the contractor, and the crew will all benefit from your decision. What may take you weeks or months, will only take a week or two depending on the size.
8. Size of Project- Depending on the size of your project, a large project could always use an extra pair of hands... or several extra pair of hands. Even if you’re perfectly capable of doing the painting yourself, the extent of the work might be overwhelming mentally and physically. From picking out the right color, to safely painting a ceiling on a ladder. If that’s the case, you could still do some of the work yourself, but augment your effort with a contractor’s painting crew.
9. Presentation- How well a paint job turns out is a huge reflection on your home, inside and out. Odd streaking or dripping, uneven trim lines, scattered paint drops and missed sections can happen to amateur paint jobs. Let our professionals do their amazing job and deliver a stunning product that you can be proud of for years to come!
10. Free Consultations- When you are in the planning stages of your potential job, feel free to give us a call to set up a time that works for you for us to come and take a look at your home to give you a free consultation and estimate. We'll take a detailed look and even help pick out colors or the type of paint you need! The time we spend there initially estimating will never be added into the quote!
Click the Free Consultation button to get in contact with us today!